Sunday, December 29, 2013

Our Parents?

 Wait. This could not be happening. Why? Our mother living here, in this luxurious home? I half expected to find her in a chair all tied up, and beaten down. Now, she looked well, and still as gorgeous as ever. Except for her eyes. They looked much older, filled with sorrow. There still seemed to be something wrong though.
 
"Mom?" Kailey asked in a small soft voice.
 We all stared at her. She looked at each one of us. When she looked at me, my heart stopped. It was so long since I had seen her. I missed her heartfelt gaze.

 "Girls." My mom said, nearly to tears.

 Alex, Bailey, and Kailey ran up to our mom. Hailey, Carter, and I stayed behind. I didn't know what to do. Was this really our mom? Or was it a trap? I had no idea why our mom would just be here, and without our dad. It had to be a trap. Hailey and I stood up, against the idea of our mom being here. Carter stayed put though. She looked at all of us, wondering what was true, and what was false.

  "Guys?" Alex called to us.
 Hailey took a step away.
 "How do we know that this isn't a trap?" Hailey questioned, looking right at our mother.

 I also took part in this. "Yeah. And why are you living here then? In this luxurious home, away from us? It seems like this isn't real."

 Our mom answered this time. "Girls. I love you so much! You just don't understand."

 "Why wouldn't we understand? We have come so far! If you were really our mother, then you would tell us!" Hailey said, really angry.

  "Our dad would tell us." I mumbled in the background.
 Our mother looked at us, then across the room.
  It was our father. He, like our mom, looked very well. But his eyes could tell the remorse of the story.
 
 "Dad", I whispered. My heart jumped up into my throat. Hailey's eyes looked like stars as she stared at our father. Carter was almost brought to tears. Our father's face lost it's smile lines.
 "Dad, is it really you?" Alex asked, her voice cracking at the last word.
"Yes it is. And that is really your mother."

 All of us sisters, in sync, looked at our parents. We could see it in the way that they looked at us, and each other. They had the same scars, and shape. They were ours.

  And the next thing I knew, we were all hugging, and crying, and laughing. It was the best moment we had had in a long time. I felt protected, even though I could take care of myself. I could not believe that we made it.


  Minutes later, we sat in the colossal living room talking about all of our adventures and hardships.
 "Oh sweeties, I am so sorry. You should have stayed with aunt Alice or something!"
Our dad responded saying, "But they like a good adventure ehh?" He looked at me after this sentence, as if he were so proud of me. Proud of all of us in fact.
 "How bout you tell us your guys story, and how you got here". Kailey asked.

  "Umm, okay. Here goes..."Our mom said.
  "It all started when we first got married. We were a huge success. Nothing, we thought, could ever stand in our way. Our new substance to make people almost superhuman was selling rapidly to those who had cancer, and cancer only. We were instant billionaires. It wasn't long before we were getting strange phone calls. They started out as just muffling noises, then they grew into short phrases like 'We know', or 'Get ready.' We finally contacted the authorities, and they tried tracking down the call... the destination wasn't found. It didn't really scare me, or your dad. Not yet at least.
 "Then one night, we heard the alarm go off. Your father jumped up so fast. He ran into the kitchen, and I followed him. Our security was gone. We quickly ran into our secret lab, and everything looked like the way it was, but our anecdote was gone. Luckily we could make more because they didn't take the formula. It still shook us up. Then the next thing we knew, MON and McFiggins took us."

 Then, right as our dad was going to speak, there was a noise upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment