Friday, February 15, 2013

Loud and Clear- Love, Alex

MON could not make me kill my sisters in a million years. A billion. At the end of all time he could not. Hailey and Rikki were brainwashed, and they were basically programmed- in a way- to kill us. That was not going to happen. I was not, will not, and am not going to let that happen!!

"What do we do?" cried out Kailee, her arms rapped around me. I could hear the fear in her voice, and I could see it in her eyes. She clutched my arm and buried her face into it and cried. It was just me, Carter, Bailey, and Kailey all laying straight on our backs on the top of a kind of tree I am sure aren't really existent in real life. Our provisions were small, and though there was a fruit tree just 20 feet away, we were too scared to leave and get it. We were all scared, no matter how hard we acted to hide such a fact. Even Carter had tears dripping down her face, off her nose, and around her ears, and she was probably trying the hardest, being the eldest.

"What does this even do?" I asked, saying my thoughts aloud. I was given a weapon that I didn't even know how to use. It looked like a small, golden lighter, and the symbols δυνατά και καθαρά were engraved upon it's smooth, unbroked surface. Underneath its lid was a small, silver button, it's great shine just daring me to press it. But I was afraid, what if it would harm my sisters? Or me? My thoughts droned out as Carter's voice whispered:

"Hush, hush... please keep quiet, Kailee, please. Do it for us. Do it for Mom and Dad. It will all be okay. I promise."
Poor Kailee was sobbing, and Carter didn't want to blow our location and out us in danger. Kailee turned her face into my sleeve and continued to cry, just quieter. With that, Carter pulled out her rope.
"I'll be back. Keep quiet." She said. And she took her rope, which had a loop knotted at the end and about 2/3 of the way down, and swung it over her head. She gently tossed it and the top loop hooked on to a high branch on the fruit tree. She clutched the rope further down the rope and swung, a mighty swing. She made it to the next tree, where she gathered up fruit in her small bag. She swung back over, gathered her rope, and washed and handed out the sweet and juicy fruit. She did so all in a matter of minutes, oh so quietly. We devoured our delectable treat, each took a swig of water, and the youngest all fell asleep. Carter and I took turns keeping watch and getting some shut-eye. About an hour later, we heard a wild call.

"Owwwwwah! Ow! Owhhhahah!" cried a familiar voice- Rikki's voice.

"Lay low!" I whispered out.

Carter and I were the only ones awake; the rest were still asleep. We covered their ears and mouths in hopes that the noise wouldn't wake them, and if it did, they wouldn't scream out. Bailey's eyes flew open and her gasp was muffled by Carter's hand. Carter motioned for her to hush, and Bailey got calmed down. Learning to calm down and stay cool in some suspenseful situations was a skill we'd been getting better at the last year. Kailey still lay fast asleep. As I lay flat on my back on the top of the tree, a glittering object caught my eye- it was my weapon. I removed my hands for a moment to grasp its, but just then, Kailey woke up, and freaked out when Rikki called out again. She screamed. It startled me so bad, I accidentally pressed the button. A wave of fear ran through me, and worse-case scenarios as to what it could do to my sisters and I raced through my head and shook me like thunder.
"No," I breathed. My internal storm was shattered and broken my a booming sound. It came from... my little golden weapon! I looked down and saw Rikki run back to where she came from, frightened by the noise. Bailey, Carter, Kailey, and I remained almost un-phased by the noise. So that's what my weapon does... I thought. It's noise frightens Rikki and Hailey! I was relieved that nobody was physically hurt. Now, if only we could un-brainwash Rikki and Hailey...

-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment